Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Halloween Countdown (Day 2: We Have Such Sights To Show You)

For the next few days during the month of October, I will be reviewing at least one movie franchise, along with a few other films of my choosing, whether they be old, new, seen or unseen. I might as well admit from the start that some of these updates have been written in advance, with some minor editing to incorporate current events. The reason for this was if there was anything I've learned from doing the Halloween Countdown last year, posting daily updates was tiresome.

So I've learned my lesson, and came prepared for this year's Halloween Countdown. I've picked one series of which I've seen the majority of the films beforehand, so I hope to be working on them throughout this month. Anyone who reads this blog other than me (which is highly unlikely but who knows) can take a good guess as to what that series may be. And if you don't, well I guess you'll have to read all my work to date before it's revealed.

Yep, my early work is that torturous.

As for the other series (of which I've come prepared in terms of articles), if you've not guessed by the title, I have chosen Hellraiser. The only knowledge I had before diving in was that there were a lot of sequels featuring the iconic Pinhead, of which involve some magic puzzlebox, and some S&M undertones. I also knew that the series was created by Clive Barker, whose only work that I'm familiar with is Candyman, as I didn't get the chance to check out Nightbreed: The Cabal Cut last year. As I find it easier to write about films I've never seen before, and even better when they turn out to be rubbish, this seemed like the perfect series to go with, taking into account the amount of sequels.


OH YES, THERE WILL BE SPOILERS.


94 minutes later.....


I have to say, I was very impressed with this film. I really liked the story, which was well paced, nicely shot, and the acting is decent enough, considering that this is a weird, creepy horror flick. Sure there were some corny performances from time to time, and the music is hit and miss. But taking into account that this film was made in 1987, I was willing to let that pass. The early transformation effects of Frank from the first drops of blood reminded me of The Thing, and still looks better today than some of the poor CGI effects I've seen over the years.

The visual style comes off as a romantic thriller, with soft focus shots, emotive music and soap opera staring shots. So the combination of the scenes with the regenerating Frank (like The Fly in reverse) along the scenes involving the Cenobites and their eerie, nightmarish world merging with reality, makes for strange contrasts working together onscreen. Especially when you are introduced to the Cenobites.


These characters are visually striking when they are introduced onscreen, making their presence that much anticipated towards the final third of the film, when Kirsty comes face to face with them. That said, these characters are rarely in the film, which I thought was a bit of a waste, as I wanted to know more about them, or at least see them in a more active role instead of being somewhat easily disposed of in the film's finale. I guess my expectations were a little high, considering that it shows "Pinhead" (who had yet to be given that name as per the end credits) on the cover.

As much praise as I give for the practical effects and make-up, it does get a little silly when the "monster" Cenobite comes to attack Kirsty, which looks like it came from an Evil Dead film. While I said I was willing to forgive the little things about the movie given by what year it was made, this ridiculous looking creature does make the film that bit dated. As well as the Highlander style effects when the box is giving out coloured flares. But to be fair, those are my only gripes with the film, which is not much, due to the other positive elements this film has.

Verdict?


As a stand alone film, it is a solid horror flick that serves as a perfect introduction to a potential series at the time. From what little is known about the Cenobites from Pinhead and Uncle Frank, along with other unexplained factors such as the puzzle box (ie. Lament Configuration), the Pillar Of Souls (and yes, I had to look up the proper names on the internet), the mysterious Asian man who gave the box to Frank, and the creepy homeless guy who is not what he seems to be, it has me more intrigued and interested in the next film.

And on a final note.....


As I mentioned above I wasn't too big on the score for Hellraiser. While reading up further info on it on Wikipedia, I read that the industrial band Coil were to do the music initially. Listening to this track from the unused music, I must check it out when I get the chance. Which will probably be after I get through this Halloween Countdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...