Monday, October 14, 2013

Halloween Countdown (Day 13: The Recovery)

Continuing on with trying to get back on track with the blog posts due to a hectic weekend, I have compiled a list of the films that were either terrible or disappointing, and rating them in terms of how much they annoyed me, as judging them by actual quality was a little tricky, as I will explain throughout.


For the record I have no real interest in checking out Insidious: Chapter 2 as not only was I not really a fan of the first one, but going by the next two films on this list, I've already seen enough "home invasion" movies this year.

5. The Purge

The idea of The Purge itself is a good one, granted not entirely original, but it did have the potential to come up with something interesting. So for it to be confined to a single house was a little disappointing. And given the reception this film got, the chances for more movies exploring this idea is very slim. In saying that, it's far from the worst movie I've seen this year as it was watchable, especially in the third act.

4. Dark Skies

I don't really have much to say about this flick, other than when I left the cinema I couldn't remember anything that happened in it. I'm sure it's not as bad as the next three films, but it's a bad sign that I remember nothing, deeming it a waste of time to begin with. And of all the movies this film ripped off, I don't know who had the bright idea to rip off Signs, which was already a terrible film to begin with.

3. The Bay

I already talked about this film here, and it's still the worst "found footage" film I've seen. Even worse than Diary Of The Dead, and I didn't even think that was possible. Even one of my friends ended up reading a book during the screening because she was that bored.

2. Blood For Irina

Another film I mentioned here when I attended the Twisted Celluloid film festival, this pretentious piece of crap only came to mind when compiling this short list as I forgot that I had to endure this artsy fartsy nonsense earlier this year. Recently I saw this on sale for 30 euro in Tower Records. I wouldn't even pay 30 cents for the DVD (which sounds more like the budget this film had).

1. Texas Chainsaw 3D

I will admit I am not a big fan of the series, bar TCM2 (which was actually pretty funny) and the Platinum Dunes remake (which is not as bad as people make it out to be, even if it is a little average). But this film by far is the worst in the series, and is currently sitting high in my list of worst movies of 2013. Still trying to figure out which is artistically deprived, this or Blood For Irina. For now, as a fan of the SAW series, one scene in particular edged it to number one on this list at least.


And on a final note.....


When I type in "horror films of 2013", for some reason Pacific Rim came up. Far from being a horror flick, it was however another contender for the "most fun" films list of 2013, not to mention one of the better blockbusters released this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...