Saturday, October 06, 2012

Halloween Countdown (Day 5: Hangover Horror)

I was hoping I'd be able to catch up on these posts this weekend, but I'm still suffering from a heavy night of drinking yesterday, so I'm very delicate at this time, and not really looking forward to going back into town. It's hard enough as it is to concentrate on writing at this point. So while recuperating and attempting to feel somewhat normal, I got around to watching the second entry to the SAW series, which gives considerable screen time to the "Jigsaw Killer" John Kramer. Oh yes, there will be spoilers.

Not that Kramer, but it does give me an idea where the cast of Seinfeld are
put through a SAW scenario .....no it's not a movie, I just don't like Seinfeld.


Back then.....


*fifteen movies into the movie* They caught him. Erm, okay.....
*the final twist* Oh my god, what the HELL?????

And today.....


This movie is the starting point to when and how the public became sick of the series, depending on which sequel they despised the most. I guess when any movie is successful, there will be attempts to make a sequel to cash in on its success. When it works, it works. And when it doesn't, it will end up tarnishing the memory of the first movie (from what I heard, "Taken 2" is already heading that way).

When I first watched it, I didn't know how this film was going to follow the first SAW film. It's like someone making a sequel to Reservoir Dogs. I'm sure it can be done, but it would have to be creative in its ideas. So I was taken aback by the arrest of Jigsaw early on in the film. However my heart sank a little with the introduction of the house and its hostages. Big Brother was still huge at the time, so I thought it was going to be a tacky horror version of that.

Speaking of which, if you never seen the mini series "Dead Set", you should check it out.

I never looked at Davina McCall the same way afterwards.


Anyways, back to "Saw 2". Over the course of the movie, I got into it, not just with the interaction between the victims and the traps laid out for them, but because of Jigsaw himself. I couldn't help but keep my eyes on him whenever he was onscreen. I found myself fascinated by his calm demeanor and his philosophy in regards to what he does and his reasons for doing so. You see this person as someone who is intelligent and educated, but methodical and intense, despite his ailing health.

The SAW franchise is known for its gruesome scenes, but this movie has one particular scene that, despite the amount of times I've watched the film over the years, and the extreme nature of the series' graphical content, I can never bring myself to watch it. I am referring to the "needle in a haystack" scene. Because of my fear of needles, which is not helped by the fact my health issues require me to go through blood tests every couple of months, I still become queasy when this scene comes up. Even listening to what's going on with my hands over my eyes is enough to disturb me.




The series does introduce a slew of characters that will end up being used in the other sequels, so it does serve as a good introduction to them. And it was nice to see Dina Meyer make a return appearance, as her appearance in the first movie was very brief. It was also the first time I've seen Donnie Wahlberg in a movie, who is the opposite of his brother Mark in terms of acting ability. Don't get me started on their contributions to music though. As for the people in the house of horrors, they are memorable with the exception of the actress who used to be in 7th Heaven. Funny how the most recognisable of the housemates is the one with the least amount of character development, with the exception of the guy who gets his head shot off at the beginning of the movie.

I have this idea where the cast of 7th Heaven are put through a.....
oh wait, I already used that joke.....


As for the twist at the end, I have to say I was very surprised, as I didn't see it coming. The fact there is now someone who helps Jigsaw with his games, and is the one to carry on his "legacy" when he dies, does leave the series open to at least one more sequel. If you left the series at this point, it would still be an effective ending. But you can't help but feel intrigued to see more of what Amanda is capable of, especially as she was one of Jigsaw's original test subjects in the first film. So a sequel was inevitable, and of course, I was down with that.

And on a final note.....

I still feel like crap. I'm surprised I actually had the energy to write this. I'm sure its not perfect, but given my current state, I could care less. Anyway, onto the closing YouTube clip.

I was in HMV the other day looking through the horror film section, looking for Bride Of Chucky, Halloween 2 (Rob Zombie version), and Wes Craven's New Nightmare. I found neither of these movies, but while browsing this section, one movie on display that caught my attention was.....Waterworld. Really HMV? Sure I'd be terrified if I had to watch that again, but not in that way.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...