Monday, November 12, 2012

The Devil Made Me Do It (The Devil's Rejects)

Continuing the double bill of reviews this weekend is the follow up to "House Of 1000 Corpses", entitled "The Devil's Rejects". When I say "this weekend", I must point out that after I finished the previous article, I went onto watching the next one. Because it was in the early hours of the morning when it finished, I didn't attempt to write about it afterwards. Instead I scoured the menus of the American and UK/Irish versions of Netflix to come up with even more questionable viewing choices. Hence the late posting of this blog entry.

These include Defendor (not even Kat Dennings could save this movie), Kevin Smith's SModimations (rubbish) plus Too Fat For 40! (really entertaining), and Postal (I still don't know what possessed me to watch a Uwe Boll film, but I'm guessing lack of sleep twisted my mind). Throw in some wrestling segments from WWE and ECW, and that makes up my viewing for the weekend, which included passing out on the couch.

Still, it's a successful weekend for me in financial terms (since I'm saving money for going away next month), and in getting through the first two Rob Zombie flicks. So enough about my lazy weekend, lets move on to my second viewing of "The Devil's Rejects".

WARNING: Spoilers




Back then.....


I was taken aback by the change of style Rob Zombie incorporated into "The Devil's Rejects" (TDR from now on), but it feels like he had more creative control with this one. While I got into it more than its predecessor, the fact that the criminal and law enforcement sides were just as bad as each other, once again I couldn't really sympathise with any of the characters onscreen.

And now.....


I'm not sure if it was because I watched this film on the same night as I saw the previous installment, but I began to appreciate this film more than I did first time around. Again most of the characters on show are despicable in nature, but like the previous film, it's more about the characters and the world they live in. Not only have I become familiar with the characters and the story, but also with the style of the movie itself, thanks to years of watching similar films in the grindhouse and horror genres.

While "HO1C" had this surreal nature to it, in terms of not just the family itself, but of what was lurking underneath, this one just takes the characters out on the road, in a twisted version of "Easy Rider" meets "Bonnie & Clyde", again going with influences from the 70's and backwards. Speaking of which, it didn't register with me that "HO1C" was set in the 70's to begin with, considering I had to look it up while writing this article. I guess that explained why these people didn't have mobile phones. While these stories could be set in any decade after the 70's, I can understand the time setting, in terms of its influences.

Because of the familiarity with "HO1C", the story felt a little stronger this time around, yet I'm not sure if I would have felt the same way if I just jumped right into this one without watching the last film. But at least it stands on its own as a single film instead of just a sequel, which benefits first time viewers. But for me, I was wondering what happened to the grandfather since then, and why Rufus suddenly turned into Tyler Mane (who would go on to be Michael Myers in Rob Zombie's "Halloween" double bill).

Although I did approve of the casting of Leslie Easterbrook taking over the role of Mama Firefly. I wasn't sure why this was, maybe the original actress was unavailable or wanted more money or something. But since I was a fan of the Police Academy movies as a kid, it was fun to see "Sergeant Callahan" both times while watching "TDR" as I haven't seen her, nor most of the Police Academy cast, in anything other than those films.

It took me a while to recognise her in "The Devil's Rejects" the first time, but how could I forget her.....erm, face.....

Speaking of recognisable faces, I also got a kick of finding a variety of familiar faces to the cast, such as Brian Posehn (who I recognise from Metal By Numbers, and his voice work in BrĂ¼tal Legend ), the "Unholy Two" bounty hunters played by Danny Trejo (star of many films, especially the Robert Rodriguez ones), and Diamond Dallas Page (aka. DDP, former WWE and WCW wrestler), and a cameo from Ginger Lynn (who I recognise from a Metallica video.....and nothing else, I swear).

The wide selection of characters, bar the hotel room victims who are just cannon fodder as this film is concerned, make the film interesting to watch, with the already established family trio, along with the psychotic Texas sheriff and the Unholy Two, the latter of which I felt were underused. They would have been cool characters to have in a spin off film of some sort, considering the fact that Tiny from the first movie makes an appearance also, if it was done right, and made right after "TDR"

While it was a problem to root for any of the characters on either side of the law, considering the despicable nature they show onscreen with their actions and characteristics, it was still intriguing to watch. The fact that it poses the question of whether you should feel sorry for any of them, whether it is the sheriff's reason for revenge, or during the final shoot out between the family trio and the cops, does give some food for thought.

Not to mention a sudden case of coulrophobia.

While I have praised this film so far, I do have to point out three niggling issues (call it nitpicking if you must) with the film. The part where one of the hotel victims was running away from the hotel room wearing the face of her dead husband (or boyfriend, I can't remember and I'm not bothered looking it up) was pretty powerful in itself. But the fact that she was comically knocked down by a truck somewhat lessened the impact of the scene.

The part where the sheriff was having an argument with the Marx Brothers loving film critic, who disrespects Elvis Presley, was a little out of place and seemed like a forced attempt at humour. As for the final shootout, while it's a trademark of the director by playing a classic or somewhat upbeat song during a dramatic moment, I thought the visuals during the realisation that they had nowhere to go were a little lazy. But I guess that had to do with the length of the song, but I do question whether it would have the same effect if one of the verses was edited out. It's a good scene, but it's just two of them waking up in the back seat, making faces of despair.

The obligatory Sheri Moon Zombie shot.

Those niggling issues aside, I found more appreciation for the "Rejects" films as a whole. With "TDR", I have a feeling I will warm up to it more with the next viewing, as I begin to digest what I saw onscreen. Sure the same old issues will be there, and maybe I'll find one or two more flaws with it, but I have a feeling I would find another reason or two to like it. Hell, even the tonal shift between the two films is bizarre. But since it was the same with the director's Halloween movies, it's another one of his trademarks that I'm beginning to appreciate.

And on a final note.....


Speaking of the Police Academy series, I remember watching Michael Winslow (aka. Larvelle Jones) live last year, and he mentioned that a new Police Academy film was in the works. Granted the films did have their flaws, but they were a part of my childhood, so I would definitely be looking forward to it. Also, Michael Winslow is really entertaining live.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...