Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Twisted Celluloid Film Festival (Day Four)

As I come to the end of these short festival related updates and reflect on this past weekend, I have to say that I enjoyed my small trip to Cork, and it was nice to watch a bunch of films that I've never seen before, whether they be good or bad. I managed to watch 10 films out of 15, which isn't too bad. The season ticket cost me 80 euros, but if I bought the tickets for each individual film I saw, it would have amounted to 77.50. So it's not that much of a loss in fairness, plus I could attribute the remainder to that glass of wine I got on opening day.




Black Sunday & Shadow People


As I mentioned in the previous festival related update, I was dying of a hangover. For that reason, I had to sit out "Black Sunday" and "Shadow People", both of which I heard good things of from some of the attendees. But during this time, I was rehydrating myself, filling my stomach with comfort food, and even went down to a shop down the road called "Dealz" and bought myself this game for 1.50 euros. For the laugh

This mutated Keith Chegwin will haunt my nightmares.


The ABCs Of Death


A collection of short films from 26 directors on the subject of death, each with a corresponding letter of the alphabet. This compilation is eclectic to say the least, ranging from weird, funny, dark, serious, gory, and even some scatalogical humour thrown in. Something for everyone then, that is, if you have a twisted sense of humour to begin with.



The Lords Of Salem


This was the screening with the most attendance during the whole festival, even more than "Maniac". As a fan of Rob Zombie's music, coupled with a new found admiration for his early directorial work, I have to say I quite enjoyed this film, even though it can be a bit slow in parts. I did enjoy the visuals, especially towards the end, but the plot can be unclear in parts ("The Shining" clearly an influence on this movie), which I'm guessing that was the intention. I'll also give credit to Sheri Moon Zombie on her performance, which I was surprised with how well she pulled it off.



And on a final note.....


Along with "Maniac", I think I will go to see "Lords Of Salem" when they play over in Dublin (unless plans change otherwise). Both were the main attractions of the "Twisted Celluloid" festival, and for me, both of them were mind-melting to watch (plus the booze didn't help with "Maniac"). So again, I believe another viewing is in order.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...