Sunday, April 07, 2013

Scum Of The Earth (Citadel)

Coming off my bout with the flu, I managed to go to the cinema this week, along with my usual Blu-Ray/DVD/Netflix choices, including "A Liar's Autobiography: The Untrue Story Of Monty Python's Graham Chapman" (an animated mess of a film that disappointed this Monty Python fan), "Munich" (watchable, if a little complex and muddled, but still a lot more interesting visually than "Lincoln"), "Stoker" (interesting gothic tale with good acting and great cinematography), and "The Warriors" (which I thought was okay when I first watched it, but was so much to fun watching it in a club with a crowd).

Thanks to Horrorthon, I won tickets for a double screening of "Insidious" (again wasn't impressed with it first time round, but it was better on second viewing) and "Sinister" (interesting horror, hampered by some silly decisions), which was to promote the release of "Dark Skies" (which turned out to be so dull, unimaginative and boring, that I can barely remember anything about it). I even went home to find some movie to watch just to make up for sitting through that. I ended up with "C.H.U.D." (pretty enjoyable B-Movie fun).

Following last week's review of an Asylum film, I watched "Snakes On A Train" as I have been meaning to watch it for years ever since I heard of its existence. And since last week's blog entry was influenced by Nazis, this week was to be influenced by The Asylum. But then I came across a film I didn't expect to find. While looking through the Flixster app on Facebook, I noticed one film that, to my surprise, was available to view on the American version of Netflix: "Citadel".


I first saw this film at the Horrorthon Film Festival last year, and not only was it my favourite film of the festival, it was in my top five films of 2012. It's based on the real life experience of director and writer Ciaran Foy, who was viciously attacked by inner city youths (or scumbags, for the purpose of this article), which lead to him suffering from agoraphobia. After the Horrorthon screening, there was a Q&A session with the director that I was unable to stick around for, which I do regret missing. But I digress.

I was looking forward to seeing this at the Twisted Celluloid film festival, until it got pulled at the last minute, due to distribution issues. Which is the reason why this film hasn't been released in cinemas over here. Hence why I was shocked to find this on Netflix. I have told my friends and anyone who would listen to check this film out if they get the chance.

So I may as well do the same here, keeping spoilers to a minimum due to the fact that it has yet to be given a well deserved theatrical release. And if for some reason anyone across the Atlantic (or is able to access the American Netflix) comes across this post, I will hope whatever I write below will be of some influence in checking it out.

WARNING: SPOILERS (but kept to a minimum)


84 minutes later.....


It was a treat to find it on Neflix and watch it in the (dis)comfort of my own home. Watching it again reminded me that the film for the most part is sad. But this only serves to convey the fear, dread and hopelessness of the main character Tommy, whether it be fending off the onslaught of these scumbags, coming to terms with what happened to his wife at the beginning of the film, or his struggles with agoraphobia.

That's not to say the film is entirely doom and gloom. There are some effective horror moments, especially in claustrophobic environments, and it helps when the lead character is sympathetic enough that not only you feel for what he is going through, you have no problem rooting for him throughout the movie. And  there are a few tender moments here and there, as well as some unexpected humour, courtesy of the foul mouthed priest who clues Tommy in as to the ulterior motives of the attack that changed his life for the worse.


I could go on about the atmosphere of the film, the engaging story and the decent performances from the minimal cast, but what really hits home with me is the visual aesthetic of the film. This was funded by the Irish Film Board, along with help from the UK, so the environments are instantly recognisable to this part of the world. The areas shown are similar to parts of Dublin that are dangerous to be in, especially when it comes to scumbags.

If the supernatural element was taken away from the story, the film would still be just as terrifying, as these scumbags are a part of the wretched inner city society in Ireland, right alongside junkies, that give the country a bad name. Having being threatened by these dredges of society in the past, along with knowing family members and friends who have been in a similar situation, or worse, attacked and hospitalised, the film hits home with me, which only enhances the terror I feel when watching the events unfolding.


Which makes me wonder how people over the Atlantic would view this film. If I was to express the darkside of living in Ireland, I would show this alongside "Savage", as they perfectly convey how I see this country, which you will never see on a postcard, as it destroys any romantic "begorrah begorrah" illusions people have of Ireland.

Granted there are some humorous aspects of its people that I could show through film, such as "The Guard", "In Bruges", or any of the films based off Roddy Doyle novels. But when a film as popular as "Adam & Paul" over here not only tries to make light of these scumbags, but make them look sympathetic, it just rubs me the wrong way.

Which is why I feel this film deserves a cinematic release over here. Considering the amount of rubbish that gets at least one week of screenings, it's a travesty that this is in distribution limbo, only to be seen by people who may not fully understand the environment it's set in. But at least they get to see a great movie, if they're so inclined to do so.

Verdict?


As it's pretty obvious what I thought of the movie, I will use the opinion of someone else to round up this blog post. I watched this film at home with a lady friend, mentioning a few of the things that I have written at the beginning of this entry beforehand. She really liked it even though it was sad, and said she was on edge throughout the whole movie. As I liked the fact that I was able to recommend this somewhat unknown to her, I hope I can do the same to anyone reading this.

And on a final note.....


For those who want to know what I thought of "Snakes On A Train"; you know a movie is bad when you find better writing in the end credits than the entire script. That's not even a joke. Not only that, the series of events that lead to the confusing ending was worthy of Ed Wood, in terms of stupid, nonsensical film making.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...